* Tramping Biosecurity *
Heading into the Wilderness?
If you are, its important to remember not to do any damage to the areas that you visit.
Here are some important things to remember when you head into the Wilderness;
- Don’t leave any rubbish, pack everything up and take it with you out again to dispose of when you get out of the bush.
- Scrub your boots and check for weed seeds before you go into Wilderness areas. Otherwise you can unwittingly spread weeds around in pristine areas.
- If you see noxious weeds in a wilderness area, its great to pull them out if you can. Make sure you have the identification right though! Don’t pull anything out unless you are sure of what it is.
- Don’t do any damage to native plants or wildlife.
- Don’t use detergent and soap in streams and rivers.
- Keep to tracks. In some areas, such as alpine herbfields, these plants take decades to recover if damaged.
- Give something back; make wilderness areas even better by
volunteering for a tree planting scheme, or pest control, such as in the Ark in the Park bird reserve in the Waitakeres. It also looks great on your resume.